Australia's spectacular construction boom has run into serious shortages of civil engineers, in particular, plaguing industry employers and causing them to delay projects. Civil Engineers are in huge demand in Australia.
CIVIL Engineers plan, design, organise and oversee the construction and operation of civil engineering projects such asstructural, transportation or hydraulic engineering systems.
The entry requirement is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in additionto the formal qualification.
· Designing civil engineering projects such as hydraulic systems, roads, aerodromes, water supply systems, bridgesand buildings.
· Studying, evaluating and reporting on the environmental implications of projects
· Determining construction methods, materials and quality standards
· Drafting and interpreting specifications, drawings, plans, construction methods and procedures
· Organising and directing site labour and the delivery of construction materials, plant and equipment needed forconstruction projects
· Administering contracts and verifying and certifying satisfactory completion
· Supervises the testing and commissioning of completed works
· Consults with other engineers, architects, landscape architects and environmental scientist.
Civil Engineers & Immigration to Australia
If you are a Civil Engineer, before you apply for Australian skilled migration as a Civil Engineer, you must have had your skills assessed as suitable for your occupation by an assessing authority for your nominated occupation
Engineers Australia is the designated authority to assess professional and Para-professional qualifications in engineering for the purposes of skilled migration to
Australia for most engineering occupations.
Occupational Categories in Engineering
Engineers Australia recognises three occupational categories within the engineering team in Australia:
- Professional Engineer
- Engineering Technologist
- Engineering Associate
For migration purposes, an additional category of Engineering Manager is also recognised.
Pathways to Recognition
There are two pathways to recognition of your qualifications:
a) Through recognised (accredited) Engineering Qualifications. If you have done your engineering from UK, USA, Canada etc. you are covered under this pathway.
b) Through a Competency Demonstration Report (CDR) for non-recognised qualifications. If you have done your engineering from India, Pakistan etc., you are covered under this pathway.
English Language Requirements
All applicants applying to have their skills assessed by Engineers Australia are required to provide evidence of their English language competency. Applicants are required to have achieved a minimum score of 6.0 in each of the four modules of speaking, listening, reading and writing in either the 'General Training' or 'Academic' version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
The following applicants may be exempt from the requirement to provide an IELTS assessment result:
- Applicants who are native English speakers;
- Applicants who have completed an Australian undergraduate engineering qualification;
- Applicants who have completed a Masters Degree or PhD program at an Australian university
The Assessment Process
You would submit your application with all relevant documents plus assessment fee. When your application arrives, a receipt will be posted to you within 5 to 7 working days. Assessment may take up to 16 weeks from the date of receipt.
Once you have received your positive skill assessment, you can apply for your visa. Once your visa application is approved, you can move with your family to Australia.